The specialist teacher is likely to have a significant role in developing the programme and overseeing the implementation. The following is a list of roles likely to be carried out by a teacher holding a specialist qualification:
• Devising an individualised programme of support/ intervention to meet the needs of your child.
• Identifying suitable resources and materials including ICT.
• Supporting the whole school in meeting the needs of your child.
• Contributing to the training of staff, including teaching assistants.
• Monitoring the progress of your child and making adjustments to the programme where appropriate.
• Evaluating the programme on a regular basis.
• Liaising with you as the parent/carer and keeping you informed.
Though at times the specialist teacher may be involved in direct teaching of your child, it is more likely that their specialist knowledge will be used to support the whole school in meeting your child’s needs.